Sunday 8 January 2017
“Michael Brandon” Mitre Regional Event
Epping Forest East
Downloads: Final Details
Race HQ & Parking
Parking will be at St John’s Church of England High School, Bury Lane, Epping CM16 5JB (Grid Reference: TL451 019 )
PLEASE OBEY CAR PARKING MARSHALS. Fee = £1, collected at the entrance.
Event Centre: This is at St John’s High School. Most facilities and services will be available there: Entry on the day (see below), Dibber hire, toilets, Ultrasport, Tom’s catering wagon, download and on-the-day results. There will be facilities to leave your keys and cash safely while you compete.
A shuttle bus service will depart from the school to the forest, approximately every 20 minutes.
Facilities: Toilets are located at the School. If your shoes are muddy or you have super-long spikes, please leave these at the entrance door. Please do not use the basins for washing shoes or clothing after your run.
O signs from Miller & Carter/ Wake Arms roundabout.
- From M25: Leave the M25 at Junction 26, signed Epping (A121). After approx 1.5 miles at roundabout, take First exit B1393 signed Epping. Straight on at traffic lights, enter 30mph limit, then turn left at mini roundabout – Bury Lane, signposted B182 Epping Green. After approx 400m turn right into school entrance.
- From M11: Leave at Junction 7 signed Epping B1393. Travel through Epping town and past Shell garage. Turn right at mini roundabout into Bury Lane. St John’s School is approx 400m on right.
- Public transport: Epping Underground Central Line station is approx 1500 metres distant. Head up Station Road to town and turn left along High Street. Approx 300m past Shell Garage turn right into Lower Bury Road. School is at end of road. Please check beforehand if services are running on the day.
- Start and finish: Bus service to/ from Epping Forest. Approx 150m walk to Start and 100m to Finish from bus stop. Allow 20 – 25 minutes from St John’s School to the start.
- Map: Epping Forest East. 1:10,000. 5m contours. Updated in 2013 by Tom Edelsten and vegetation revisions in 2016 by Tony Maycraft. All maps, size A4, will be pre-marked and on waterproof paper. Plastic bags will NOT be provided.
- Terrain: Epping Forest East is comprised of undulating deciduous woodland with two flatter areas. It provides both a physical and technical challenge. Leaf fall is still obscuring some minor paths. “Walk” on the map may indicate thick clumps of holly or occasionally hawthorn. These areas should be treated with respect; blind alleys may catch out the unwary. Slow run generally has good visibility and narrow “white” runnable tracts provide route choice. The undergrowth symbol normally indicates bracken or bramble; though the former is now brown, it could still impede older runners. Recent rain has filled some depressions and made some paths muddy, although it is still drier than normal for the time of year. All streams and watercourses are easily crossable and most have little running water. However some do have fairly steep sides and may become less easily crossable if there is heavy rain in the days before the event. Please use available bridges if this is the case. Rootstocks are not mapped, whether with or without accompanying knolls/depressions, whatever their size. However, in general, isolated knolls over half a metre high are mapped.
- The forest contains several environmentally sensitive features, shown by the purple OOB symbol, which must not be crossed. Courses have been planned to avoid them.
- Courses: The British Orienteering colour courses for regional standard events are being offered:-
|Short Brown||7.2 km||18||155m||M18L,M20L,M45L,M50L,M21S,W21L|
|Short Blue||5.0 km||14||110m||M65L,M18S,M20S,M45S,M50S,W18L,W20L,W45L,W50L,W21S|
|Green||4.2 km||12||95m||M70L,M55S,M60S,W16,W55L,W60L,W35S, W40S|
|Short Green||3.6 km||11||65m||M75L,M80, M85, M90, M65S,M70S,W65L,W70L, W75L,W80, W18S,W20S,W45S,W50S,W55S,W60S|
|V.Short Green||3.0 km||10||65m||W85, W90, W65S, W70S, W75S|
|Light Green||3.2 km||10||65m||M14, W14|
|Orange||2.6 km||8||40m||M12, W12|
|Yellow||2.3 km||12||45m||M10, W10|
|Long Orange||4.4 km||11||70m||Adult novices / runners|
Sorry, no String Course.
- Control descriptions: Control descriptions will be on the front of the map. All courses will have IOF descriptions, descriptions except White and Yellow. White and Yellow and will have text descriptions. Loose copies will be available at the Start.
- Please use the toilets at the Event Centre before you catch the shuttle bus. There are NO toilet facilities at the start/ finish area. Please do not relieve yourselves in the Forest as it is frequently used by the general public. Any transgression of this could jeopardize our future use of Epping Forest.
- Start Times Starts will be available from 10.30 – 12.15. Courses will close at 2.15pm.
- Start and finish: Shuttle bus service to/ from drop-off point along Epping New Road. Follow taped route from bus stop, less than 100m to start, finish and clothing dump.
2 Buses will run at regular intervals from the Event Centre. Allow 15 – 20 minutes from bus leaving St John’s School to the start.
Runners will be called forward at 3 minutes before their allocated start time.
If you turn up early or arrive late for your start time you may be permitted to start once a suitable slot becomes available. If EOD, please hand in your start slip to event officials.
Control description sheets will be issued at -3 minutes.
Blank maps will be available for inspection at -2 minutes.
Runners on white and yellow couses will collect their maps before the start.
Start lists will be displayed at Registration.
- Electronic punch: EPS-SI on all courses. Dibbers will be available for hire (£1 each/Juniors free) at Registration. For those who have pre-booked a hired Dibber, please collect it (and pay for it if necessary) from Registration before catching the bus to the Start. Should any SI units in the forest fail to function (no bleep or flashing light, or vandalized) there will be a pin-punch nearby. Please punch your map and advise download accordingly.
- Results on www.chig.org.uk
- Safety & First Aid: Competitors are recommended to carry whistles for safety. Full leg cover is required. Competitors are reminded to take care. The competition area has uneven ground, rough and slippery surfaces, fallen branches, tree roots, muddy and wet areas, etc.
- Waterproofs/cagouls: If heavy rain or snow is forecast competitors will be required to carry a cagoul/waterproof jacket. In this case, for safety reasons the carrying of a waterproof will be COMPULSORY and competitors will not be allowed to start without one. Please check the CHIG website the night before or on the day.
- A qualified first aider will be in attendance close to the Start/ Finish area; a basic first aid box will be available at Download.
- The nearest hospital with A&E facilities is Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, CM20 1QX. Directions – B1383 through Epping town to M11 junction 7. Take first exit, A414 Harlow, then follow A&E signs. Approx 8 miles from event centre.
Roads: All main roads are out of bounds – and are marked as such on the map. Marshals are instructed to disqualify any competitors running along main roads.
Taped Routes: Both White and Yellow courses follow a taped route (intermittent red and white tape) for 100m between 2 controls. Additionally on the Yellow course, there may be red and white tape where a path is indistinct or to avoid the worst marshy areas.
Finish: There is a punching (dibbing) finish for all competitors. Do not forget to punch! The clothing dump is near to the start and finish.
Download is back at St John’s High School, via shuttle bus. You must visit the Download even if you are retiring.
Forest Epping Forest is used and enjoyed by members of the public. Please show them etiquette consideration. In particular take care when near horses, and avoid frightening them.
Dogs Dogs are permitted in Epping Forest if kept under control.
Thanks To the Superintendent of Epping Forest and his staff. Epping Forest is owned by the Corporation of London.
- Online Entry closed on 3 January 2017. Start times will be uploaded on Fabian4 after the closing date of 3 January.
- Postal Entry using Standard Entry Form closed on 3 January 2017. (cheques to Chigwell & Epping Forest OC) to: Mitre 2016, 11 Rosemount, Harlow, Essex, CM19 4 HS.
- Limited Entries available on the day, subject to availability of maps.
- Entry Fees:
Up to 3/1/2017 BOF Seniors £12: Non BOF Seniors £14; Juniors £5.
Entry on the Day (EOD): Registration at the Event Centre: 10.00 – 11.00am. There will be limited EOD for courses, subject to the availability of maps. Please ensure you collect your start slip and hand in at the Start.
- EOD BOF & SEOA Seniors £15; Non BOF Seniors £17; Juniors/Students £5
- EOD White and Yellow Courses – BOF & SEOA Seniors £5; Non BOF Seniors £7; Juniors/Students £5
Starts: 10:30 am to 12:15 pm
Anyone running on Black will be allocated a Start time between 10:30 – 11:15, to allow them up to 3 hours to complete the course.
Courses close: 2:15 pm
- Organiser: Ray Curtis Tel: 01279 418699 Email: Curtis.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Planner: Tony Maycraft
- Controller: Hedley Calderbank (HH)
N.B. Competitors take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety.