Sunday 8 December 2019
“Michael Brandon” Mitre- National Event and SE League, incorporating the South East Middle Distance Championships
Epping Forest Far East
Final Details [PDF] – Published 1 Dec 2019; Updated 5 Dec 2019
For pre-entered competitors: PLEASE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ENTERED ON THE CORRECT COURSE. IF WE HAVE MADE A MISTAKE, CONTACT RAY CURTIS at firstname.lastname@example.org
IF THERE IS ANY LAST-MINUTE INFORMATION ABOUT THE EVENT, WE WILL PUT IT ON THE CLUB WEBSITE: www.chig.org.uk YOU ARE ADVISED TO CHECK BEFORE TRAVELLING.
- O signs from Miller & Carter/ Wake Arms roundabout. A121/B1393.
- From M25: Leave the M25 at Junction 26, signed Epping A121. After approx 1.5 miles at roundabout, take first exit signed Epping B1393. After 2 miles, straight on at the traffic lights, left at mini roundabout, Bury Lane. St John’s School is approx 400m on right
- From M11: Leave at Junction 7 signed Epping B1393. Travel through Epping town; pass Shell garage turn right into Bury Road at mini roundabout. St John’s School is approx 400m on right
- Parking is at Epping St John’s Secondary School, CM16 5JB. Park as directed. Cost £1 per vehicle. PLEASE OBEY CAR PARKING MARSHALS.
- GR TL452018 .
- Epping Underground Central Line station is approx 1500 metres distant. Head up Station Road to town and turn left along High Street. Approx 300m past Shell Garage turn right into Lower Bury Road. School is at end of road. Pedestrian entrance only. Please check beforehand if services are running on the day.
- This is at St John’s High School. Most facilities and services will be available there: EOD, Dibber hire, toilets, Compass Point, download and on-the-day results.
- There will be facilities to leave your keys and cash safely while you compete.
- Toilets are located at the School.
- If your shoes are muddy or you have super-long spikes, please leave these at the entrance door. Please do not use the basins for washing shoes or clothing after your run. We were reprimanded for dirty sinks found after the last event. Any recurrance could jepodise our future use of the school as an event centre.
- From 2:00pm at the event centre.
- Medals to be awarded to the first three SEOA members in each of the following age groups: M/W 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20-40, 45-50, 55-60, 65-75, 80+
- Note that the SE Night Championships medals will also be presented.
- Please use the toilets at the Event Centre before you catch the shuttle bus. There are NO toilet facilities at the start/ finish area.
- Please do not relieve yourselves in the Forest as it is frequently used by the general public. Any transgression of this could jeopardise our future use of Epping Forest.
Safety & First Aid
- Competitors are recommended to carry whistles for safety.
- Full leg cover is required.
- Competitors are reminded to take care. The competition area has uneven ground, rough and slippery surfaces, fallen branches, tree roots, muddy and wet areas, etc.
- Waterproofs/cagoules: – if heavy rain or snow is forecast competitors will be required to carry a cagoule/waterproof jacket. In this case, for safety reasons the carrying of a waterproof will be COMPULSORY and competitors will not be allowed to start without one. Please check the CHIG website the night before or on the day. CHIG has the right to cancel the event in extreme conditions.
- A qualified first aider will be in attendance close to the Start/ Finish area; a basic first aid box will be available at Download.
- The nearest hospital with A&E facilities is Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, CM20 1QX. Directions – B1383 through Epping town to M11 junction 7. Take first exit, A414 Harlow, then follow A&E signs. Approx 8 miles from event centre.
Start and finish
- Shuttle bus service to/from drop-off point along Epping New Road. Follow taped route from bus stop, through approx 100m forest, then across road (marshalled road crossing) then a further short section (approx 50m) to start and clothing dump, then a further 50m to finish.
- Two buses will run at approximately every 15 minutes from the Event Centre, Allow 15 to 20 minutes from St John’s School to the start.
- Runners will be called forward at 3 minutes before their allocated start time. If you turn up early or arrive late for your start time you may be permitted to start once a suitable slot becomes available. If EOD, please hand in your start slip to event officials.
- Control description sheets will be issued at -3 minutes.
- Blank maps will be available for inspection at -2 minutes.
- Runners on yellow couses will collect their maps before the start.
- Start lists will be displayed at Registration.
|This part of Epping Forest East is comprised of undulating deciduous woodland with some flatter areas.
It provides both a physical and technical challenge. There has been recent thinning activity that has made some of the forest much more open than in the past. The thinning has varied in intensity, both in the amount of pollarding of trees and of the remaining surface debris. The map attempts to show the former by segueing white/scattered trees/yellow and the latter by undergrowth screens. Note that pollarding has made several areas of forest appear to be open on the ground when they are, in fact, still wooded – but do not have a canopy. Any work done since the map went to print is small in scale and will be indicated on the maps in the start lanes.There are no road crossings on the courses. All roads on the map are busy. They are marked as forbidden routes and must not be used. There are paths running parallel to them in many cases.Other points to note are:
- Epping Forest Far East. 1:10,000. 5m contours.
- Updated 2019 by Tom Edelsten and Tony Maycraft.
- All maps, size A4, will be pre-marked and on waterproof paper. Plastic bags will NOT be provided.
The SE League recommended age classes are offered:
|Black||6.8 km||24||190m||M18, M20, M21, M35, M40|
|Brown||5.7 km||20||170m||M16, M45, M50, W20, W18, W21, W35, W40|
|Blue||5.2 km||17||160m||M55, M60, W45, W50|
|Green||4.1 km||15||120m||M65, M70, M75, W16, W55, W60|
|Short Green||3.4 km||14||110m||M80, M85, W65, W70, W75|
|V.Short Green||2.8 km||12||60m||W80, W85|
|Light Green||3.2km||9||65m||M14, W14|
No string course.
- Control descriptions will be on the front of the map.
- All courses will have IOF descriptions. Yellow and Orange will have text descriptions in addition.
- Loose copies will be available at the Start.
Limited Entry on the Day Registration: 10:00 am to 11.00am
Starts: 10:30 am to 12:30 pm
Courses close: 1:30 pm
- All main roads and their verges are out of bounds – and are marked as such on the map.
- Marshals are instructed to disqualify any competitors seen by anyone running along main roads marked as out of bounds.
- The yellow course follows a number of ditches that go through marshes. Taped routes will routes be provided to avoid the worst areas.
- An indistinct path used by the white course will also be marked with red and white tapes. Please advise competitors on these courses to follow these tapes.
- There is a punching (dibbing) finish for all competitors. Do not forget to punch!
- The clothing dump is next to the finish.
- Download is back at St John’s High School, via shuttle bus. You must visit the Download even if you are retiring.
- Epping Forest is used and enjoyed by members of the public. Please show them consideration.
- In particular take care when near horses, and avoid frightening them.
- Dogs are permitted in Epping Forest if kept under control.
- EPS-SI on all courses.
- SIAC enabled.
- SI Dibber hire £1.00/ juniors free.
- EPS-SI on all courses. SIAC enabled. Dibbers will be available for hire (£1 each/Juniors free) at Registration. For those who have pre-booked a hired Dibber, please collect the dibber from Registration before catching the bus to the Start.
- Note we have 10 SIAC dibbers available for hire on the day. Cost £2.50. Please contact the organiser directly should you wish to reserve one.
- Should any SI units in the forest fail to function (no bleep or flashing light, or vandalized) there will be a pin-punch nearby. Please punch your map and advise download accordingly.
- Final details and results on www.chig.org.uk
- Start times are available on Fabian4
Entry on the Day (EOD)
- Registration at the Event Centre: 10.00 – 11.00am.
- There will be limited EOD, subject to the availability of maps. Please ensure you collect your start slip and hand in at the Start.
- Starts: 10:30 am to 12:30 pm. Please select a start time so you will complete your course by 1:30pm.
Advance Entries: Preferably via: www.fabian4.co.uk, or by SEF (cheques to Chigwell & Epping Forest OC) to: Mitre 2019, 11 Rosemount, Harlow, Essex, CM19 4 HS. Closing date for receipt of entries: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 23:59hrs.
Up to 03/12/19 BOF Seniors £15: Non BOF Seniors £17; Juniors £5
Entry on the Day BOF Seniors £18: Non BOF Seniors £20; Juniors £7
Orange and yellow courses Newcomers £7.
Organiser: Ray Curtis Tel: 01279 418699 Email: Curtis.email@example.com
Planner: Tony Maycraft
Controller: Andrew Evans (DFOK)
To the Superintendent of Epping Forest and his staff. Epping Forest is owned by the Corporation of London.
To St John’s School, Epping.
Competitors take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety.